You have been formed and shaped by the lives of others. Many of you are able to share your own experience of being cultivated and encouraged by key people in your life. What a wonderful gift! And how sweet that God uses us to help others grow and thrive in leadership as well!
As you dig into the core practice of creating and sending leaders, it may be helpful to think of this in terms of various stages…identify potential leaders around you, prepare them, send them out and debrief with them about their experiences. Today let’s concentrate on:
IDENTIFY potential leaders around you
Here are some steps to help you:
- Begin with prayer. I know this sounds simple enough but it is often a key step we forget. Praying helps us to see where God is already working and opens us to how He wants us to join Him in His work! Pray that God would give you eyes to see how He is working in the people around you. Ask for His discernment to perceive opportunities where you can pour into others.
- Take time to notice what God is doing in the people around you. What are their passions and gifts? How are they connected to others? Create the space to notice what’s happening around you. Keep your head up and eyes forward to watch and listen.
- Constantly be thinking about inviting people to join you in your leadership. How can you give people hands-on involvement? Who can you take with you? Don’t worry about how you’d do it…at least not yet. Just think through WHO you can invite.
- Think Spheres…not only the church but also where you live, work and play. How can you encourage and strengthen the people God has been helping you notice?
- Start small. Jesus did not develop everyone around Him. He poured His life and leadership into a group of twelve men and most intimately with only three. Pray for one. Look for one. Invite one. Start small and see what God does!
What step will you take today as you give the gift of developing the people around you? When will you do it? Who will you share your experience with for encouragement and accountability? Watch God move and listen for His guidance. As you choose to walk in obedience to what He is leading you to do, you will be amazed at His continued provision and work! Don’t forget to share your stories with us! We want to celebrate and learn from each other!
Keep going! God is up to something in someone else’s life….through you!