Busy. That’s the word we often use when describing life these days. It’s no wonder many of us feel overwhelmed when it comes to thinking about how we might serve community.
I recently caught up with one particular group that is very busy indeed…Studio 56! These 5th and 6th graders have so much going on in their lives! School, sports, dance, musicals, homework, chores…when do you find time to be a kid these days? But not only did these kids find some time to integrate the core practice of serve community into their lives…they have some words of wisdom to impart to us all.
When I asked them to share with me about a recent experience they had as they served community, here’s what they had to say:
- Get up and do it!
- You’ll feel better than you think when you are giving to God and others. It might hurt some, but you’ll feel better because there are not many things better than helping others.
- God provides what we need…the strength to do it…the perseverance.
- At least try!
- One small deed leads to another.
- God is pleased.
- Giving back made me feel good.
- Put yourself in other people’s shoes to gain a better understanding of their situation.
- It’s more fun to serve with your friends!
- Yeah, I’m busy but I thought to myself, “Let’s go help people!”
Oh…my…goodness! What beautiful words of wisdom from these precious kiddos! I don’t know about you, but when I read their words, all the excuses I’ve conjured up in my head as good reasons to not have the time and the energy to serve community…well, they simply don’t stand up!
So, what is ONE way that you will serve community over the next several weeks? Having trouble coming up with something? No problem! Just CLICK HERE to see some local opportunities.
Let’s go help people! At least try it! One small deed leads to another…and before you know it, serving community will truly become a core practice!